The Senate voted to kill the 2-year exemption from royalty payments for the soon to be auctioned radio spectrum frequency blocks for wireless carriers. However, the Chamber voted 252-143 in a non-party line vote to reject the Senate version and reinstate the exemption. PAN deputy Javier Corral called it “an undue fiscal privilege” for highly profitable telecoms companies at a time when the rest of Mexicans were being asked to pay higher taxes. The Chamber and the Senate must now reconcile their positions. (Universal 11/1)
- Pemex board reportedly opens corruption investigations
- Pemex puts Odebrecht contracts under seal until 2020
- Is Peña Nieto losing control of the succession?
- February sets new record for homicides
- Two attorney generals meet
- Poll shows strong public support for using Army and Marines to fight organized crime