The Army seized the largest drug manufacturing facility ever discovered in Mexico: 22 buildings including labs, dormitories, warehouses, a gymnasium, and its own power plants and water system, covering 240 hectares in the “Golden Triangle” area of the Sierra Madre. The plant manufactured crystal meth and warehoused marijuana. The military seized 164 55-gallon drums with chemical precursors along with 20kg of pure crystal meth and 10 tons of marijuana. Reportedly the plant belonged to the Sinaloa cartel, but no persons were captured during the operation. (Excelsior 8/8, Reforma 8/7, Proceso 8/7)
- Pemex board reportedly opens corruption investigations
- Pemex puts Odebrecht contracts under seal until 2020
- Is Peña Nieto losing control of the succession?
- February sets new record for homicides
- Two attorney generals meet
- Poll shows strong public support for using Army and Marines to fight organized crime