Ministry of Communications and Transportation (SCT) general counsel Gerardo Sánchez Henkel fired 15 staff lawyers for failing to protect the SCT’s interests in auctions of radio frequencies. Iusacell, a cell phone company owned by Ricardo Salinas (TV Azteca), was in the process of getting a permanent injunction to block the auctions. (Iusacell owns unused bandwidth which it could resell for more than US$400 million if the new frequencies are not made available, according to specialists.) Those fired allegedly failed to defend the case aggressively. “There was an inconsistency in their actions, and this led to a loss of confidence in the attorneys,” said Sánchez Henkel. (Reforma 6/4, 6/5)
- Pemex board reportedly opens corruption investigations
- Pemex puts Odebrecht contracts under seal until 2020
- Is Peña Nieto losing control of the succession?
- February sets new record for homicides
- Two attorney generals meet
- Poll shows strong public support for using Army and Marines to fight organized crime