Josefina Vázquez Mota resigned her post to run for Congress on the PAN’s proportional representation list. With a guaranteed seat, she is expected to be the next president of the Chamber of Deputies, which returns to the PAN by rotation. In an emotional ceremony in Los Pinos, President Calderón said, “The Government needs the support of Congress. I need, as President, the support of deputies, such as Josefina Vázquez Mota, who clearly have a generous commitment to the country. [She] will elevate the election campaign and will also dignify enormously the work of the legislature.” Calling her the President’s “most effective political operator,” columnist Ricardo Alemán wonders, “Only time will tell if this was a reward … or if it is a punishment that leaves her temporarily out of the 2012 [presidential] contest.” (Universal 4/5)
- Pemex board reportedly opens corruption investigations
- Pemex puts Odebrecht contracts under seal until 2020
- Is Peña Nieto losing control of the succession?
- February sets new record for homicides
- Two attorney generals meet
- Poll shows strong public support for using Army and Marines to fight organized crime